Monday, February 20, 2012

The Best Chili Ever

I know this is a pretty hefty claim, but this is my go-to chili recipe and it won first place at our Superbowl Chili Cook-off.  My friend Tamara claims that she has the best chili ever, but that is still to be determined!

I can't take the credit for the chili though.  I found it here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/ last year, and have just adjusted a few things here and there.  I toned the spiciness WAY down and it's still  pretty zesty, so I can only imagine how the original recipe might burn one's mouth off.

Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients.  It may be a lot of measuring, but once it's all in the pot, just stir and forget about it for a few hours.  Like most chilis and stews, this does actually taste better the next day.


Ingredients

  • 2 lbs. ground beef (or ground turkey)
  • 1 lbs. Italian sausage (or Italian turkey/chicken sausage)
  • 3 (15 oz.) cans chili beans, drained
  • 1 (15 oz.) can spicy chili beans, not drained
  • 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with juice - I like the S&W brand with the spices already mixed in
  • 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
  • 1 large onion
  • 3-6 stalks celery, depending on how much you like celery
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 T. bacon bits
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon (or 4 tsp. if you used the powdered stuff like I do)
  • 1/2 c.-1 c. beer - I used Alaskan Amber last time
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 2 T. Worcestershire sauce 
  • 1 T. minced garlic
  • 1 T. dried oregano
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. paprika - sometimes I use smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp. white sugar
Instructions
  1. In a large stock-pot, brown ground beef and sausage over medium heat.  Drain excess grease.
  2. Pour in all of the other ingredients, stir well, and simmer on low for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. After 2 hours, taste and adjust spices as preferred.  
Serve with chopped onions, cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!